VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2006

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:31:13 -0800
    Paul,

Sorry, I was trying to be brief (a rarity for me), but should have known this wasn't the time.  Here's what I have in my files.  (Yes, I'm awarethat Chalkley is not the best of sources, made some mistakes in transcribing and transcribed pages at random, but as a clue, he can be helpful.)

  Chalkley's Scotch-Irish Chronicles pg. 92; Citation: Augusta Co. VA Will Book 3, pp. 397 - 513 Page 435.--21st October, 1765.                                                                             "Sale bill recorded of William Culberts,by Wm. Gilmore, administrator, to, viz: Mary Brown, Margaret McCown,Patrick Denny, Andw. Fitzpatrick, Mary Boyls, Mary Ann Crawford, Jas.Logan, Wm. McCanless, David Guin, Jane Scot, Wm. Ooley, Jno. Selone,Jas. McCampbell, Richard McGee, Jean Muldrach, Alex. Dale, Chas. Boyles.Paid William Naper, Jannet Gilmore, Samuel Norwood, Blakeley Brush,Isabell Summers, Elizabeth Woods, Mary McCown, Sarah Davis, John Hays, Cryer of Vendue; James McNabb."

  Virginia Gazette, May 11, 1769,Publisher: Rind Page: 4, Column: 1, 1769-05-11 <http://research.history.org/JDRLibrary/Online_Resources/VirginiaGazette/VGImagePopup.cfm?ID=2560&Res=HI&CFID=1901140&CFTOKEN=91225714>                                        "Augusta County, Virginia March 24th 1769 WILLIAM CULBERTSON late of this county, who was killed the late Indian War, which was in the year 1763, being then indebted to me, and I being allowed to admniffter on his effate, this is to inform this relations, or heirs, if any there be, that there is excis of his effate in my hands than is fufficient to ditcharge my debts. William Gilmore"

  Joanne

Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]> wrote:   Speaking for myself only, before being comfortable in responding I would
like to know all words of that entry. I surely think that you also should
examine the courts' orders'/entries prior to this date, since the entry to
which you have referred is but a conclusion of other activities in that
intestate estate. It may be that further record of that proceeding has long
ago been destroyed. If so, then you can but infer such prior activity.

By the way, how do you know that "... the county government allowed Gilmore
to be the administrator of Culbertson's estate in order to be reimbursed for
the debt." ????