VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2011

From:
Dale Dulaney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2011 10:52:07 -0400
One of our archivists did a little show and tell this week for our large collection
of School Records. She pulled a circa 1870 school district map from Arlington
County which helps to illustrate the beginning of Virginia’s public school
system and its segregated schools. This map reveals much about the
community and where people lived. The LVA’s School Records collection
covers most of the history of education in Virginia from the charity schools of
antebellum times to massive resistance against court-ordered desegregation.
See this week’s entry at
http://www.virginiamemory.com/blogs/out_of_the_box/