VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Westview <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:33:00 -0400
Diane,

Re your father's Navy records:  according to archivists at the National Personnel Records Center most of the WWII Navy records did not burn.  Have you actually filled out the paper form and submitted it to them with the required documents and fees via snail mail?  And, if so, are you sure you have his name exactly correct?  I ask because I searched in vain for several years for my uncle's records via the internet.  He died of leukemia in January 1945 while in the Navy.  I mistakenly thought he was a "Junior" and had looked for the info under that name; luckily, I found his dogtag in my mother's belongings and discovered he had a completely different (and unexplainable) middle name.  Once I had the exact name I submitted the printed material and fees and, at first, got an e-mail denying my request because I had no proof of death and I was a niece, not a sibling or child.  A phone call to the NPRC and a letter of authorization from my mother clarified the situation and shortly thereafter I received his full miltary record as well as his complete medical records.

It may be that you have done all this; if so, I apologize for rehashing it.  But if not, it's worth a try.  Look here for more info  http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq19-1.htm

Kathy