VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2009

From:
Bonnie Flythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:28:49 -0400
No.  Thomas & Margaret Crump seem to have moved directly from King William
to Chesterfield.
There seem to have been two lines of Crumps in Williamsburg.  John Crump,
cabinet maker, was there in 1775.  He married an Esther, surname unknown,
probably by the early 1780s.  He eventually owned Union Tavern.  The couple
were the parents of John and Richard Crump.  John the father died about 1789
or 1790 leaving the widow who appears in the record as Esther Whitfield. I
don't know the full name of this husband.
The son John married a Mary, surname unknown, but she apparently died early
in the marriage.  John then married Martha Allen in 1809 in Hnerico Co. and
they were the parents of Richard, Hester Ann,and John Julius.
I have not traced the son Richard.  He was in Williamsburg in 1812 when he
sold his "reversionary interest" in the slaves of Esther Whitfield.  He may
be the Dick Crump who was accused of shooting Peyton Southall in the streets
of Yorktown.
Another Richard Crump was in Williamsburg in the early 1780s.  He married
Mary Crafford in Surry Co. and moved there. I think he was the son of Joseph
Crump of North Carolina, but really don't have documentary proof.  None of
the other adult Richards in Va. at the time fit well as Joseph's son.
The John Crump line is pretty well documented by newspapers, the Anderson
Papers, tax lists and some deeds that I have not included here.
Bonnie