VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2003

Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:39:26 EST
There is an article in the most recent issue of Northern Neck of Virginia
Historical Magazine by William McCarty, MD. In this work he says Daniel's wife
was Penelope (Higgins). I would like to know what his proof is that she was nee
Higgins because I have Penelope (Higgins) as the wife first Francis Spencer,
second John Manley, third Anthony Russell and fourth Overton. Francis Spencer
was the son of Nicholas Spencer and his guardian was Daniel McCarty. Francis
made a will about 1715 and bequeath his estate to McCarthy. That is the will on
file in Westmoreland County and if one did not check the COB that is where the
matter would hang. However, Penelope [thought to be Higgins] who had married
Francis sometime after the will was written and gave birth to a son, William,
challenged his will based on his marriage and birth of a son William Spencer.
The court found in her favor. About 1727-28, again recorded in the
Westmoreland COBs [not published] Penelope is in court and was ordered to separate the
estates of John Manley, and Anthony Russell & I am not sure but think William
Spencer from each other. William Spencer turned out to be a spend thrift and by
the 1740's in the will of Penelope's Overton husband, and again in the will of
Daniel French who had married Penelope Manley left an annual sum to be laid
out in clothes for him. Penelope was a granddaughter or great-granddaughter of
Penelope (Higgins). The source I have for her being nee Higgins is Harry
Wright Newman. If anyone on this list knows Dr. McCarty, please let him know I am
trying to contact him. I will look for my Spencer file as I do have copies of
the various documents. Thanks, Margaret Amundson

Margaret R. Amundson, CGsm is a service mark of the Board for Certification
of Genealogists, used under license by Board-certified associates after
periodic proficiency evaluations.