VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:46:17 -0400
Steve -

For a long time I saved an email from LDS that stated that if I sent resources to prove what my brother submitted is incorrect, would they correct it and attach the sources?
I was told 'no' - 'once sealed - always sealed' - and that they would throw away any resources since they do not submit the proof at all - but the best way I could correct what my brother did wrong would be to submit the correct data and then researchers could 'choose' which they prefer to use!
I just might still have that email on my old PC - will take a look!

Diane S

  As one who posts all his data on Ancestry and my own website at Rootsweb, I
  have to agree and disagree with some of the comments in this thread.  When I
  post my data it is always with the caveat "this is raw data, do your own
  research"  I do so in hopes that this data may lead someone in the right
  direction to prove what I think was correct at the time.  This is not to say
  that I post data knowing that it is wrong, but data I need to research
  further to prove one way or another.  The lines I have proven are also
  posted with sources (as much as Ancestry will allow conveniently) and actual
  documents.

  Now what I do believe is a gross misuse of caveat data is for someone to
  take what you have done and portray it as a fact without any research of
  their own and the LDS is a perfect example of this misuse.  There is no
  caveat to any of the data or trees presented as fact on their site.  In fact
  I was thrown out of a couple of their forums for stating just that about
  their "Temple Ready" data.  Some of the popular software companies were/are
  trying to integrate their software to download and upload everyone's trees
  like Ancestry.  I stated garbage in, garbage out, and mentioned that their
  should be a check for qualified sources before an upload would be accepted
  and available for review as the LDS is taken by most people as fact.  In
  fact, between the LDS and Genealogy.com's CDs, hard to say who has
  contributed the most garbage for use. Not to say they have also provided
  some excellent sources.  I love the way Ancestry allows their source
  material to be associated with an individual, I just wish that when you did
  quote a census as your source, it would also go out and link that source to
  the citation.  It does eventually find and place a hint in your file, but
  results in dual citations.

  That is why I take a two pronged approach to putting my data on the web.  I
  can't save stupid, they will always be there, but I can help those who wish
  to be helped and will always work with anyone to prove their line or correct
  my data when found to be inaccurate.

  Regards,

  Steve Stevens