VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2012

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2012 18:16:26 -0400
Aurelia,

If you want to research a particular Jones family, for example, then you
need a male Jones from that family to take the Y chromosome DNA test.  That
test will be "representative" of Mr. Jones, Mr. Jones' father, his father's
father, his father's father's father, etc. (i.e., all of those men would
have the surname of "Jones," assuming that there were no "adoptions" or "out
of wedlock births").  That test will not be representative of ANY other
"biological line," and it will not "reflect" anything about the wives or
mothers of any of those Smith men.  That test WILL be "representative,"
however, of all of the "Jones brothers" of all of those Jones men in each
generation in that line (since the "Jones brothers" in each generation would
share the same Jones father).  Bottom line, the Y chromosome is passed from
father to son, and it is not "influenced by"....nor is it "reflective
of"....the mothers and/or wives in any generation.

I wanted a DNA test on my mother's Brown family.  As such, I had to have one
of her/my male Brown cousins take the DNA test for me (and I paid for it).
So....I now have my own Y chromosome DNA test for my paternal Davidson
family, and have his Y chromosome DNA test for my maternal Brown family.

Note: The DNA test on my "Brown" cousin showed that he....and hence, my
mother....were actually "biological Smiths" versus a "biological Browns,"
and I now know that my maternal gg-grandfather named Smith W. Brown was
actually a "Smith infant" who was taken-in, named and reared by a Brown
family in Middlesex Co., VA around 1817.  I have now "traced" my biological
Smith family back to Lancaster Co., VA by at least the 1650s (ditto the
Brown family that took-in my maternal gg-grandfather).

The above is just the way that the Y chromosome DNA test works (and just the
way that God made us).  I know a lot of people who are "into genealogy" who
would give almost anything to find a living male with the surname of
interest (and, of course, in the specific family of interest) who would take
the Y chromosome DNA test for them.  If a particular "biological line"
should eventually "daughter-out" (i.e, where there are no living males left
in that "surname line" of interest), then the above Y chromosome DNA test
becomes "unavailable" (unless you exhume a man from his grave).  I know some
"family researchers" who are, unfortunately, faced with that reality today.

Note: For those who question the true value of the Y chromosome DNA test, it
has shown us that there were at least a DOZEN UNRELATED
Davidson/Davison/Davisson families in just VA alone in the 1700s (and thanks
to DNA testing, we can now "define and segregate" most of them).  It has
also shown us that there were at least FIVE UNRELATED Brown families in just
Culpeper Co., VA alone in the 1700s.  These types of discoveries were
absolutely IMPOSSIBLE using "conventional documentation."  As I like to say,
"if the necessary document does not exist, then it does not exist"....and as
any genealogist worth his/her salt knows, there are a lot of "wished-for"
documents that obviously "do not exist" (if they ever did "exist").

Bill Davidson