VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:44:37 -0500
Hi, Frank.  Your question is a common one and should be of interest and importance to all, so I have answered here and on the VA websites that I so enjoy.

I am firm in my view that we owe no apologies for correcting errors of others, yet in doing so we must be gentlemen and ladies.  No matter, what others may think and have written that differs from your "new" findings, if you have credible evidence that errors have appeared in the works of such others, intellectual integrity demands that you state your findings and do so consistently and without embarrassment.

I always do that by, 1st, telling that other writer that, in deference to him/her, I wanted them to know that I have found convincing evidence contrary to their views as to certain lineage, 2nd, that I consider this new finding important to all folks of that line and would like them to consider my material/sources and respond with their own reasoning or any materials that would refute what I now suggest, and 3rd, that in the near future, though I mean them no disrespect, I intend to make my contrary views known through my future correspondence, writings and exchanges.

If I gain no response to that message, I simply assert my position as and when I please and supply my sources when I do so.  When I do set forth my beliefs, I quite usually also state that "other writers seem to disagree" but that I consider my view well-founded.  Paul