VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2001

Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 02:11:24 EDT
Kirk,
I can't exactly answer your question as to when 2nd names bagan in USA.

I have an ancestor, Bryant Ward NOWLIN, born 1740 (where?); he spent most of
his life in Pittsylvania Co., VA. All of the many records I have seen about
him ALWAYS used his full name, when most of the records of other people
almost never used 2nd names.

On the other hand, my earliest known ADAMS ancestor was Joseph Adams, per his
1792 marriage return. A Bible record of his son, (my ancestor), Samuel (NMI)
ADAMS, born 1800, written after the Bible was published in 1846, shows the
father as Joseph Samuel ADAMS,  and all six children ( b. 1793-1803) had
middle names EXCEPT my Samuel, who made those entries.

I suspect the practice of giving children 2nd names varied widely from place
to place, from time to time, and from family to family, and solely by family
choice.
Gordon Adams: [log in to unmask]

In summary, I doubt that any specific guidance was provided by any civic,
legal, or religious group.
Gordon Adams: [log in to unmask]