VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2013

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2013 22:06:39 -0500
Shirley,

Our "paths keep crossing." There was a Rice Jones, Junior in the Lancaster/Middlesex Co., VA area who married Miss Jane Cock (shown as "Cocke" by some) on 10 Feb 1679.  Miss Jane Cock's father was Nicholas Cock/Cocke, and her mother was the widow Mrs. Jane (unknown) Curtis....the widow of Bartholomew Curtis.  After Rice Jones, Junior died, his widow Mrs. Jane (Cock/Cocke) Jones married second to Lt. John Smith (a son of Alexander Smith; Alexander had come into Lancaster Co., VA by at least the 1650s).  Alexander Smith and his son Lt. John Smith were my mother's paternal Smith ancestors.

Note: My mother's male cousin took the Y chromosome DNA test, and his only "DNA matches" are to three other Smith men who all descend from Alexander Smith and Alexander's son Lt. John Smith.

The father of the above Rice Jones, Junior, however, was not the Rice Jones who left his Will in Henrico Co., VA in 1732 (mentioned in your post).  The father of the above Rice Jones, Junior was instead the Rice Jones, Senior who left his Will in Essex Co., VA on 20 Nov 1676.  As I recall, Rice Jones, Junior and his wife Jane Cock had a son who was also named Rice Jones....so we could call him Rice Jones "III"....so perhaps Rice Jones "III" married a Frances Bowman and/or left his Will in Henrico Co., VA in 1732.

Comments/questions?

Bill Davidson