VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2005

From:
Don Trent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Trent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:09:58 -0500
Along the same lines I would like your opinion about the use of the term
Squire. William Marvel in his book “A Place Called Appomattox”, refers to
one of my ancestors as Squire Trent. In several places he is addressed as
Squire Trent while other prominent citizens are addressed by their first and
last name. The time period is 1850 and an excerpt is, “…William Trent, a
substantial farmer who lived a couple of miles south of the courthouse;
Nelson Kelly, a wheelwright in his late fifties.  Squire Trent, a former
Whig, ran without party affiliation…” In your opinion why do think he would
be the only person addressed as Squire. His brother, Thomas Trent, lived
nearby and was also a farmer with 26 slaves and was referred to as simply
Thomas Trent.

Regards,
Don Trent
Family History Web Page: