VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2011

From:
Wilene Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2011 09:59:14 EDT
Aurelia, you specifically referred to the 1870 census.  I've never known
how prevalent this was for that particular census, but the enumerator for the
1870 Wright County, Missouri, census set up shop in the county seat,
Hartville, and invited the citizens to come to him that year which, of course, many
folks didn't.  Consequently, many, many Wright County famillies were not
enumerated.  This has been documented by the Wright County Historical Society
comparing land ownership to the sequence of the names recorded in that
census and found the families jumped all over the county as they were recorded in
1870.  It's also rather obvious in that census because the townships are
recorded as "Various" at the top of the pages -- "Inhabitants in Various
Townships, in the County of . . .."

I've been told that other counties in other states did the same thing in
1870, but I've not noticed evidence to that fact and have been curious if the
1870 Wright Co., MO, census was an anomaly or not.  --Wilene