VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:35:39 -0500
Because of the recent notes and URL about the Irish likely not being
Celts, here is a view from a lady who likely knows more about the
subject than most of us, and surely more than do I.  Paul

Subject: re Irish not being Celts

Dear Paul:   Having had our family DNA in done for the (BFOOV) - and
we did
the other test too for the alleles - for closest genetic matches  - it
was
astounding to see the matches for the Nordic related numbers, as well
as,
Russian and central European, but by far, the most matching alleles
came
from Icelandic peoples, which would make sense, since the Vikings
invaded
these areas early on.  Since I am an anthropologist - one must
remember that
research without empirical data CAN be swayed to represent ones
ideological
agenda!  Somewhere in the middle lies the truth.  One must also ask
"who
paid for the research" - this is always important in approaching the
end
result.  Another perspective one needs to consider, it is often
difficult
when doing anthropology in Ireland, because being wood and other decay
able
materials  - a lot of it, simply disappeared, in addition, to having a
inhabitable coastline, where really ancient materials would have been
swept
away.   What is interesting to consider, is that steppe peoples, from
which
most of us descend, went out in two different directions, those to the
east
and those to the west.   If one would look at the decorations, burial
rituals and funereal items found in the steppes, types of structure in
clothing items, (when found) and tool replications, along with
ornamentation
- you may notice a distinct similarity.   I do not doubt the validity
of
some of this material  - I do find it hard to believe there is no
viable
inclusion of "Celtic" descendancy in larger numbers.

That is just my perspective  - always read between the lines!

karen