VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2008

From:
Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:12:48 -0500
Thank you for your thoughts re the meaning of BS on the 1820 Cumberland
County Census.

Might it mean bastard son?  Or would a bastard take his mother's name?

I don't think it has any geographic meaning, because the record shows
occasional indications of the village/town where the individual lived.

Sally Phillips