VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Dusty Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dusty Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:36:49 -0400
From: Dusty Smith [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 1:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Ancestry.com Just a warning to others

At the risk of  being the "bad" guy here, just for a moment I'd like to
play devils advocate.

Didn't we recently discuss that Ancestry bought Family tree and some
other genealogy  service from the internet?    How do we know that
Ancestry is the bad guy?  Maybe the info was incorrectly recorded and
listed by one of the other companies bought up by Ancestry and they
inherited the "misinformation".

It isn't in their best interest to have phony information that folks can
disprove (and we all know that we can disprove it with our years of
accumulated documents).   They really should be posting a disclaimer (as
do the LDS folks) that research is voluntarily contributed and should be
researched before taken as gospel.  Ancestry or family tree or any
depository of info such as these, have no way of knowing whether someone
plagiarized your work or mine before it was voluntarily contributed to
them.

I hate to see any site on the internet get a bad rap because the not so
honest folks who "steal" our work misrepresent the fact that it isn't
theirs and contribute it as their own.

I don't know, I just see the real culprit as being those who made the
contributions and not the people who are receiving it.

Don't yell at me  -   I was just sorta trying to throw out another
perspective.

D. Smith