VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2009

From:
jwterry99 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 2009 19:15:32 -0500
Hi everyone,
    I just found my ancestor, Gideon Terry, on the "Pensioners of Revolutionary War Struck off the Roll".  This is an official document from 1836 from the Sec'y of War.  He apparently was restored by the Act of 1835 that restored pensions to widows and children of those who served more than 2 years.  Gideon's wife had died by then.  I would love to find out who claimed the pension for the short period between the time he got the pension in 1819 and died in 1821.
    My problem is that I got a full record from NARA on Gideon and subsequently have found it on Footnote.  It ends by saying he was struck from the rolls by the Act of 1820.  Gideon served in the 7th Continental Virginia line for about 3 years.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to find out what might have been in the application for the restored pension??
I would greatly appreciate any advice!
Thanks,
Jim Terry