VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:39:04 -0400
Paul... I am familiar with both and have been using the Mutual Assurance
online for years.  The Sanborn maps though are sketchy because the LVA does
not carry all years nor all books covering all areas of Richmond.  I
believe the last 19th century maps were 1898 and then skips over to 1905.
The librarian said that the Library of Congress may have all of them but
not sure.  I am looking for North 27th Street maps from the late 1800s on
our house but they don't have them as they are in a book volume for those
years that they don't posses.  And they don't go any older than 1895?  The
area north of Broad and east of 25th Street is not well documented and
wasn't even annexed as part of Richmond until 1865.  It was considered the
suburbs of Richmond in Shedtown though now squarely part of Church Hill.

Eric