VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Carolyn Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2011 16:03:08 -0400
Last year I wanted to go to an event in Canada, which now requires a
passport, so I hauled out my Bureau of Vital Statistics white-on-black
photostat of my birth certificate. Though it got me into school and
other things that required identification (including DAR and UDC), I was
told that this form of proof would not be accepted, that I had to have a
"standard" birth certificate issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia. So,
I drove to Richmond (a hundred miles each way), paid the $12 fee,
received my "official" paper, and filed for my passport. Still, I was
refused without more "proof" of my birth. Seems that the birth
certificate from the state didn't count because... having been born at
home and delivered by a family friend who was a doctor... I was not
registered with the folks in Richmond until five years after my birth...
in other words, when I was about to start school. Wasn't needed until
then, was it? Thus, as the census record on which I will appear hasn't
been released yet, and there was no family member living from the
generation previous to mine, I had to get my older brothers (aged 12 and
9 at the time of my birth) to sign affidavits before notary publics, and
get my school records from my hometown to prove my existence.

Shucks, I thought I was real all along!

Carolyn

--
Carolyn HALE BRUCE