VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Allan Willey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:00:24 -0700

Not to be a "topper," but you all might get a kick out of this story.

In 1989 I applied for a U.S.passport in Phoenix, AZwhere I was living at the
time.  I went to the local Passport office and took my "birth certificate" with
me.  At that office I was told that the "birth certificate" I had been carrying
around all my life, which showed my middle name as Lucius, wasn't an actual
official birth certificate at all, but a statement that my birth had been
registered.  I was told that I needed to apply for an official copy of my birth
certificate through the Virginia Vital Records department.  I did so, and soon
an official copy of my birth certificate arrived in the mail.

You can imagine my surprise when I opened the envelope and found that my
official birth certificate stated my middle name was Thomas, not Lucius, the
name I had used all of my life.  I called Richmondto verify that that's what the
record showed and they confirmed that the official record showed my middle name
to be Thomas.
I really can't give any explanation of how this might actually have occurred
beyond the following.  My parents (long deceased) named me for my two
grandfathers, Allan Lee Phillips and Thomas Lucius Willey.  My grandfather
Willey signed his name as T. Lucius Willey, and I understand that everyone
called him Lucius.  Perhaps someone, I can't guess who, got confused and wrote
Thomas instead of Lucius on the birth certificate application.
In any event, I have always used Lucius and think of it as my “real” name and
plan to continue to use it.Allan Willey