VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

From:
Barbara Ekiss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Ekiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 00:59:25 -0000
Someday we women today will also be ancestors!  I tell everyone to request
their family include their complete name on their tombstone.  Therefore,
I'll be
            Barbara Kinner Ekiss  (I hope).

There is a book on how to research the female ancestors.  Can't remember the
title but one good hint pre vital records is to follow the neighbors as a
young man went courting by horseback or walking after finishing up a days
work in the fields. Jot down all surnames on at least one census page before
and one after your family (better 3 on each side)  Then look for these same
names as witnesses to deeds and wills of your family.  Look at deeds and
wills of all neighbors as the girl's father man give maiden names for his
daus. in these doc.  Get a map and look for the closest church, another good
place to court.  Just a few hints, there are many more and yes, I can get
the title next time I'm at the lib. if anyone wants to know.  Barb