VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2012

From:
Mike Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:44:51 -0500
I've been reaserching Isle ofWight County for a long time.  (Connections to other VA cos. also.)  And I have Ms. Blanche Adams Chapman's book of Wills and Administrations abstracts, as well as a Deed abstract book that has some deeds relating to estates.  But what I am not finding very much is the final estate settlements, of final accounting, where any remaining property or money is divided up among the heirs.  There are lots of Inventories and Appraisements abstracted in Chapman's book, but very few final settlements.  There are some "accountings" but even these are often not the final distribution (or not indicated as such).   Other than the wills, it's the estate settlement that has the most useful info for genealogy.  Are these located somewhere else, and if so where?  If the deceased owned less than what he owed, should there be some final entry to let us know the estate is closed?  The time period I'm most interested in is from 1690-1750 in Isle of Wight (some interest in Brunswick ~1730 also).