VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2007

From:
David Oakes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Oakes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 21:38:52 -0700
On 8/17/07 7:42 PM, "Molly Shumate" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My ancestor, William Lee served William Lee (1734-1802) served as private in
> Captain Cobb's company of militia, 1781, for the aid of southern States. He
> died in Bedford County, Va.
>
> 1789 - Bedford Co. Land Grant Book 22 1789-1791 p. 446-447 - Granted to
> WILLIAM LEE, assignee of SAMUEL CROCKETT - 184 acres - by survey dated
> 11/13/1789 - branches of Lick Run.  Lines. Lee, Thompson, Candler, Brown,
> Roberts, GUTTREY.  In consideration of Treasury Warrant Number 11512
> issued 3/19/1782 granted to WILLIAM LEE. s/ 8/9/1789
>
> My question: Can I get a copy of his record if he only served in the militia?

If William Lee was the *assignee* of Samuel Crockett, it sounds like the
warrant for the land was originally Samuel Crockett's, which Crockett later
assigned over to Lee. So, that particular land warrant would have been
originally granted to Crockett, possibly for his military service, not Wm.
Lee's service. Maybe there's a pension or land warrant application for
Samuel Crockett you could check?

On the question of extant militia service records for the Revolutionary
period - I too would like to know if there are any?!?

I've been able to find a few tiny bits here & there in county records. The
majority of my guys had militia service, not continental line, during the
RW. It sure would be nice to find more information on the local militia
units, the unit's service as well as the individual soldiers.

Thanks,

C. Etter