VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2002

Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:48:30 EDT
With all due respect:

I am concerned with the complaints concerning Ancestry.com Census data on
this list.

I have been researching for over 30 years and spent many days even years
looking at the microfiche at the National  Archives in Wash DC and other
libraries.

Bound Indexs to the census that you find at the larger libraries are full of
errors. Most of the errors come from the errors of the person taking the
census and those who tried to answer the Census taker. Many of those had
trouble with english and could not read or write much less spell.

I also understand that a lot of the census indexs were done by employees
during the depression as make work. The Soundex is a valuable tool if you
need help.

Also in my family in the late 1800's and early 1900's they revised therr own
names to what they liked-in some cases they even bothered to legally change
them.

My birth certificate signed by my doctor in 1933 had my name misspelled and
only when I needed a passport and needed a birth certificate did I and my
parents discover this.

I do not know where or how Ancestry Com ended up with the index's. My
interest is in the images of the census

To research your families in the next six months back to Europe--God Bless.
I hope to find all my ancestors if I am lucky by the time I die. Mine came to
the colonies in the late 1600's and there are no census back then.

Brock Robertson