VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2011

From:
Larry Meeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2011 09:30:01 -0400
Carolyn,

It appears the way the document reads, both Mary and Augustine lived at the
same place and were charged with taxes together.  I don't believe they
charged for woman as tithable. The 1st column is for the No. of white
tithables and the number is 1 for Augustine.  Elsewhere in the document if
you see three men's names living together (on the same line), the number
would be 3.  If you look at Margaret Bond in the same index you will notice
she is the only person at that location and you will notice the 1st column
is blank.  The 4th column is the number of mares and horses.

Larry