VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:51:23 EDT
The "repartir/repartie" going on in this list has at least created a little
interest in an otherwise DEAD list. Not in the last couple of years has as much
interest been show. We all should be thankful to know our Virginia cousins
are still alive-if barely.

I have given great thought to the situation and wondered if I might make a
suggestion that could be acceptable to all. And might even satisfy Brent
Tartar-our illustrious master.

We are all here to do genealogy. If we are interested in Virginia genealogy,
then the Va, list is the one we naturally want to use. Why should we be forced
to look for a list all by itself with "helpers".  What would be wrong in
limiting on a certain day every other month, say the 2nd Mon or 3rd Thrusday or
something agreeable to all to have a list of researchers who frequent Richmond
and the Library of Va. on a regular basis that will take orders to help their
"fellow cousins"/researchers. All they have to do is mention they will be
available in Richmond to try and help any who might have a specific problem. They
are to give their email address (and maybe their phone #) and name. No mention
of fees, etc. But this list should be limited to family researchers NOT ANY
COMMERCIAL entities who do it for profit. I  am really opposed to having those
"Professional Genealogists" or Certified ones as they are in it for the money.
Believe me I have done this for nearly 50 years and never charged but when I
would go, I would take a few questions for others and try to find something. If
they wanted to make donations or in later years pay for the cost of copies
that was fine, but I did not have a specified FEE.
And I have paid out hundreds of dollars to others for same work I did for
free. I am not stressing that all should do as I did, but lighten up folks and
lets let Frank and a few willing people help us all.

Now lets get back to work. We should concentrate on our ancestors and send
the list an occasional brick wall and see if there is any one else on that
family. I just a couple of weeks ago had a letter from someone who saw a query I
sent in 3 or 4 years ago  who had just looked back in Archives and found my
email address and wrote me. We are now in process of trying to solve a mutual
"Brick Wall".

Would this suggestion be agreeable to all on the list-and from what I have
seen we have about 1200-1400 of us. What a great gang we could be together and
with such force, we could conquer the world.

Sarah Browder-back in Texas after a number of years living in Va. and loving
my ancestors new found home when they crossed the pond.