VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2000

Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:26:54 EDT
Hi to the List

Would someone more familiar with the terminology please explain to me the
next step in finding more data on a soldier when this very little is handed
down in the family.  The man was from Virginia and is not seen on the index
to  confederate soldiers on line.  Would it be likely a man would have served
in the war of 1812, the Mexican American War and the Civil War?  That is a
long spread of time.

"He was a veteran of the 1812 War, and also was at
the side of Winfield Scott,  when Mexico City was
captured in 1847."

"He rode with General Rosser's cavalry during the War for Southern
Independence."

Someone thought the person could be traced through these two men (Winfield
Scott) and General Rosser...I have always thought the soldiers would be
identified with a smaller unit and its ranking officer (Captain?)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Alice in Fluvanna