VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
"Carole D. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:35:42 -0400
Wondering if you could help me clear up my confusion concerning the
process of obtaining land in Virginia's later colonial days  .........

It seems there were at least 3 methods: grants, patents, and  purchases.
The third is rather obvious, but what about the grants and patents? How did
 one obtain a grant or a patent?

Primarily, I'm interested in the lands located in Halifax and Pittsylvania
County. I've borrowed a copy of Marian Dodson Chiarito's Entry Record Book,
 1737-1700, and read many, many entries, often by the same person. Most of
the time, these are for 400 acres, with some considerably larger tracts.
Are  these entries actually grants or patents? Or, is the term synonymous?

It seems that all who made entries did not in fact become land owners.
There were requirements that had to be met, of course. How might I determine if
 the entrant actually met the necessary requirements and acquired
possession  of the acreage? Would that be recorded in the deed books?

The older folks in my family have always told the younger generations that
the land where our forefathers grew up had been a "land grant from the King
of  England." In trying to prove their adamant claims, I had only
discovered  (previoiusly) where they made purchases, as recorded in deed books, which
 do not indicate a "grant." Now, in reading Chiarito's book, I'm wondering
if  THIS might hold the "key" !

Would appreciate any help !!
    Carole