VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2017

From:
Vanessa Crews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2017 13:01:15 -0700
My husband’s Crews ancestors from Louisa County, Nelson County and Buckingham County were carpenters. They built Grace Church in Buckingham, and I’ve found records of a mill and tavern in Nelson County.

I understand that as Quakers, they may have gone into the trades as a result of their anti-slavery beliefs. How could they compete against slaves trained as carpenters? Was there a different skill set?

I’ve tried a Google search but mostly came up with information on colonial era carpenters.

Thank you for your help.

Vanessa Crews