VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2009

From:
Molly Shumate <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Molly Shumate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:16:21 -0500
My ancestor always signed his name with just the mark "C".  I would like to
know if people signed with the mark even though they could write their name,
perhaps because it was easier?   One of the Religious Petitions shows him
writing his name in full yet deeds and wills show the mark "C".  Any help would
be appreciated.  Thank you.