VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
P J Dennis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:37:55 -0500
Been there done that.

The Prisoners song
  http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=52394

Brother can  you spare a dime
  http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/brother.html

Life is just a bowl of cherries
  http://www.mondaypapers.com/cover_songs/bowlofcherries.html

Rudy Valee most popular singer ( the Yale song and I'm just a
vagabond lover)
  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0884964/bio

Several years ago a neighbor  entered into my house via the back door
through the utility room.
Her comment was "Ah ha you must have been a "Depression baby". my
mother told me about it."
I asked why she said that.
She pointed to the wall of shelves holding canned and package foods.
She was correct.
Embedded is the need to always be prepared. Food, Shelter, Finances.
FDR and the Federal Reserve enacted laws and rules to obviate a
reprise of the  national calamity.
As memories faded powerful interests have diluted and ignored those
regulations and we have
this unhappy  stock market/bank failure/mortgage collapse situation.

How does it relate to genealogy?   Families are broken up--Children
scattered--Divorces--
suicides--fathers and husbands disappear.

pjd

7/21/08