VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2003

From:
paul drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
paul drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:17:17 -0600
From: paul drake
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: Sharpshooters question

OH, I thought you meant the Rev.; sorry about that.  In the Civil
War those of talent with a rifle were attached to a regiment, and
sometimes were but a few and at other times made up a full company.
Those from the western states were particularly accomplished, once
again as a result of a lifetime in the woods.  When available or
when they brought their own, such men were armed with the finest
rifles of their day, and often with telescopic sights.  There are
stories of some amazing shots, especially at officers, those being
prime targets for the sharpshooters of any unit.  Paul
----- Original Message ----- From: [log in to unmask]