VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2018

From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:10:45 +0000
EXPLORE RELIC

January 2018 - The Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC)

Start your historical journey here. RELIC's email newsletter highlights upcoming free events and happenings. Genealogy and local Virginia history is our specialty as a service provided by the Prince William Public Library. We're located at Bull Run Regional Library and you can always find more about us at www.pwcgov.org/library/relic<http://www.pwcgov.org/library/relic>

=========================

RELIC INSIDER:

TISH COMO HEADS TO RETIREMENT

The end of January will mark the culmination of Tish Como’s service to Prince William County and the RELIC community.  Tish has been an integral part of the RELIC staff since we opened at Bull Run Library in June 1994.  A native of Connecticut, with deep Irish roots (Frawley family), and a strong academic background in history, Tish was the director of the Prince William County Office for Women before joining the RELIC team.

In addition to helping solve myriad research questions, Tish has taken the lead in developing interesting and notable programming for our local history and genealogy community.  She has brought in speakers who are some of the best in their fields, covering popular topics, such as the Civil War and early American history, DNA analysis, ethnic studies, immigration, and genealogy software. In addition, she has presented her own effective instructional courses in beginning and advanced genealogy.  She has made valuable contributions to our online offerings, among which are her historical studies of the Board of County Supervisors and the Prince William Sheriffs.  She has been instrumental in training other library staff to understand what RELIC does and how, allowing us to provide excellent service whatever day of the week it is.

Over the more than two decades she has been with us, her knowledge and experience have grown phenomenally.  Her interest in the studies of genealogy and history are apparent every day.  As she and husband Rob lay out the many plans they have for retirement we expect that some time will continue to be spent on family history research and we hope they stop by and say “hi” from time to time.  If you run into Tish in the next month, please thank her for her service.

=============

NEXT MONTH

GENEALOGY ROUNDTABLE

​Come and discuss the challenges of your family research in a group environment, and get tips for new approaches. Moderated by RELIC's Don Wilson.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 7:00 p.m. (Repeats February 28.)

Wednesday, February 28, 2018, 2:00 p.m. (Repeated from February 13)

To read the latest lists of new materials available please click on What's New in RELIC http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/pages/relic-news.aspx

Unless otherwise stated, all of the preceding programs will take place at Bull Run Regional Library, 8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, Virginia.  Programs may last from 60 to 90 minutes.  You may register for any of these free programs at 703-792-4540 or mail to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

You may also register online at RELIC Programs http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/pages/relic-programs.aspx

by clicking on the program date.  Funding for selected RELIC programs is provided by the Friends of Bull Run Library.*  To be notified of upcoming library programs and activities, you may sign up for the PWPLS newsletter.