VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:04:29 EDT
Hi Folks

Apologies for duplicates that any of you might receive.

For those that might be interested, I have some new stuff online today, and
several more things to get up.  For now though, if you want to see it go to
http://www.ls.net/~newriver/nrv.htm and click on the appropriate county to get
there.

For Grayson Co., VA

Cemetery listings for
McCarroll Cemetery at Grant, from Sadie Greer
Big Springs Regular Baptist Church Cemetery and
Beech Grove Baptist Church Cemeteries both from Buford Wilson.

This brings the surveyed Cemeteries in Grayson County that are online to 309,
or 61% of the cemeteries identified, less than 200 to go.

For Smyth County, Virginia

An 1866 Voter Registration roll for the 3rd Magisterial District (Which
appears to be present day Chilhowie or something close to that)  This list is in th
ree parts, whites registered to vote without challenge; Blacks registered to
vote without challenge; and whites who were challenged, but were allowed to
register anyway.
A copy of the St. Clairs Bottom Primitive Baptist Church membership list from
1831, with some having death dates annexed from the church book.
A copy of the St. Clair's Bottom Primitive Baptist Church Church Covenant,
undated, but probably from the early 1800s.
And the most significant piece of local history I have found for a while:
"Register of Colored Persons of Smyth County, State of Virginia cohabiting
together as Husband and Wife on 27th February 1866"

A roster of physicans practicing in Smyth Co., VA from 1893-1953.
A membership listing of the Gibson-McCready Camp Confederate Veterans from
1909.

And the most significant piece of local history I have found for a while:
"Register of Colored Persons of Smyth County, State of Virginia cohabiting
together as Husband and Wife on 27th February 1866"  This one gives the place of
birth, age, date of marriage for African-American couples living in Smyth County
on the date of the list.  It also gives the names and ages of their children;
occupations for the males; and who the slave owners were if they were recently
freed, or notes that the person was free before the end of the Civil War.
Remarkable document, I have poked around a lot of courthouses, but had never
seen one before.  One can probably glean a good bit of historical information in
addition to genealogical data from this one.  Thanks to Carole Rosenbaum,
Deputy Clerk of Court of Smyth County for letting me know about it.  Carole is
retiring next week.

Warm regards
Jeff Weaver
PO Box 351