VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:09:52 -0600
Thanks Nel.  It is the words I have capitalized below that I have found
baffling.  These words surely reveal that were several if not many more who
participated.

 ..

"For what it is worth, I have the following information on a few of those
who

participated in Bacon's Rebellion. I have no idea if any of these records

still exist.

Nel Hatcher

-------------------------

"A Little Parliament, The Virginia General Assembly in the Seventeenth

Century", Library of Virginia, 2004, Warren M. Billings [citing "Journals of

the House of Burgesses, 1619-1658, p. 59 and 93] says the following:

As William Hatcher learned, even nonmembers who aspersed the dignity of the

House or its officers suffered speedy censure.

..

He was much more fortunate than most who took part in this rebellion which

was called by Bancroft the "Harbinger of American Nationality". Many were

committed to prison and were condemned of all or most of their property,

which, incidentally was given to friends and supporters of the King. The

citizens of HenricoCo sent the King a list of their grievances and requested

that they be heard. This manuscript signed by: Wilber Elam, John Pleasants,

Solomon Knibbe, and Will Hatcher. This was reported in "The History of

HenricoCo, VA".