VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 11:17:18 EDT
Hello Everyone,

In my Bentley research I have been sent the following references to 1782 tax
information for Bentleys in various counties in Virginia.  Ann Avey Hunter
has told me this is not from Ancestry.com, but speculated it is from a CD.
Does anyone recognize the presentation of these 1782 references and can point
me to the source, and speculate on its reliability?

I am particularly puzzled because if it is personal property tax it has a
data field labelled "Age Range" and, based on the Powhatan Co 1782 tax list
which I have, the only age for a taxpayer "range" in 1782 would be the column
for Free Males (over 21).  I have listed the samples entries for which I'd
like comments after my signature.

I also have a different type listing for  a Elizabeth Anderson, which appears
to have a misinterpretation of perhaps of whatever column is here said to be
"souls" as my impression was that dwellings were only counted in land tax
lists (which didn't count persons, but listed only the owner of the
property).  Any thoughts welcome here also.

Elizabeth Anderson, 6 white souls, 1 dwelling, 3 other buildings. Amelia
County 1785

Thanks so much, Janet.Hunter

Here is what I have for 1782.

Bentley, Samuel