VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 21:49:39 -0500
Brand me as a heretic if you so wish.  While I believe that one day
MUCH research will be accomplished via the Internet, at this time
there is far more junk there than there is reliable material, and a
vast quantity - surely a large majority - of records have not yet been
made available through this medium.  Note that this VA site is surely
an exception to that rule, and MUCH can be gained by following the
advice of the known researchers and library folks who have provided
guides for tens of thousands at this website.  Similarly, the raw and
early records available at LDS are also a very valuable resource.

The shortcomings of the Internet are not a condition for which we
should place blame, since every "new" technology that has ever come
upon the scene - weapons, cars, trains, record players, planes, on and
on - has required a long time for the culling out of errors, for
correcting failures of design, and for the removal of the charlatans,
opportunists, and money grubbers.  So, use what is there that carries
with it explicit, demonstrable and understandable documentation, and
view all other info, including what I and every other pretended
"expert" says, with a VERY, VERY skeptical eye.

Personally, I have almost NO trust in the accuracy of any of the
"genealogy for money sites" that also suggest that they have "free"
materials.  Someone said long ago, "There ain't no such thing as a
free lunch."  Paul