VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2007

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:36:22 -0500
	One writer on this list has stated that in my writings concerning
servitude,
I have suggested that nearly all who came to the Colonies did do as
servants.  That simply is not correct.

	A cursory examination of my works will reveal that I made NO
comments whatever about any percentages or numbers of those who came for
other reasons or of those who had the wherewithal or means to pay their own
way, nor did I ever intend to speak of those latter categories of early
settlers.  My only purpose and thrust of those writings was to speak of
servants alone.  Indeed, the title to my article was "Earning Your Way" and
the subtitle was ".... Indentured Servitude as a Means of Providing
Transportation".

	So, once again, if any of you would like a copy of that article,
please contact me privately.

Paul

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:57 PM