VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2008

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2008 19:10:15 -0400
The 1783 VA tax list (and maybe in some other years, as well) had a column
for the "number of whites in the household."  The later 1793 or 1794 tax list in
Botetourt County (for example), however, had a similar column, but it was
titled "white males over the age of 16" (or something similar).  Does anyone
know if the above column in the 1783 tax list was also restricted just to white
males over the age of 16, or did that column back in 1783 included ALL
whites, including younger males, as well as females of all ages?  For most (if
not all) of the families that I have researched, there appears to have been
several more "whites in the household" in 1783 then the total of the husband
plus the known older sons.  Of course, this could be due to white overseers,
white farm laborers, etc., also being counted in these households...but I really
can't image that this is the explanation in all cases.  Is it possible that ALL
whites were to be counted in 1783, irrespective of gender or age?  Thanks!