VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2008

From:
Poldi Tonin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Poldi Tonin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 13:04:05 -0600
See:
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/moneyold.htm

The above URL will give an explanation of British currency.

In 1971, the currency became decimalized.  Therefore Colonial  equivalence
should be figured using the old method. And we need to keep in mind that the
nominal value of currency is not the purchasing power of currency.
Considering the value of the dollar today could cause researchers in the
future to think that everyone was affluent. But with devaluation during
recessions and depressions the face value of the Colonial pound and the
current dollar is misleading when figuring the cash wealth or cash costs of
the citizenry.

Also we need to keep in mind which commodities were in a state of flux on
any day. Pork bellies vs wheat, oil vs gold, soybeans vs beef. [As an
elder-person with fragile joints who forgoes rides on Roller Coasters, I get
my heart a-racing and thrills watching the stock market. ;-) ]

Prior to 1971, it was so awfully confusing. Tourists used to have a big
problem traveling in England and had pockets full of coins to hand out to
merchants and relied upon their honesty to take the correct amount. And
making a comparison of costs was a nightmare.

Poldi

--

"She is insane, of course. The family history has become a mania for her."
Hercule Poirot

http://www.FrontPorchRockerNews.blogspot.com

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Langford
This project includes Lankford spelling also.

"Truth and reason are eternal. They have prevailed. And they will
eternally prevail; however, in times and places they may be overborne
for a while by violence, military, civil, or ecclesiastical."
--Thomas Jefferson Thomas Jefferson, 1810