VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2020

From:
"Brooks, Vincent" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 2020 09:32:58 -0400
As a trusted educational institution that strives to inspire learning and
encourage understanding, the Library of Virginia supports Governor
Northam's calls last week for a more comprehensive examination of our
commonwealth's history. The Library houses local court records, state
records, personal papers, business records, newspapers, special
collections, books, journals, etc., that date back to the 1600's.
Collectively, these records contain the names of millions of African
Americans both enslaved and free. Taken as a whole, these individual
stories help to shed light on the narrative of a people that has not been
fully told. By actively engaging the commonwealth's divisive past, we hope
to inspire Virginians to create a unified future. Today's The
UncommonWealth provides information on how to discover more about the
African American experience found in our digital collections.

https://uncommonwealth.virginiamemory.com/blog/2020/06/11/facing-our-history-forging-our-future/

https://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html