VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2006

From:
Susan Molye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Molye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:49:38 -0400
Nowadays, an heir-at-law is anyone who is eligible to receive part of
an intestate estate: spouse, children, parents, siblings,
grandchildren, nieces, nephews, maybe even cousins.  This is
established by statute, so you would have to look at what the law was
in 1800 to determine who was eligible.  Without further information,
the best you could say about an heir-at-law was that he was the
spouse or a blood relative of the deceased.  I would expect that the
court papers stated his relationship.

Susan M.