VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2007

From:
Fran Lawson Romine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fran Lawson Romine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:39:36 -0400
Scotland in 1731, and a early resident of Montgomery Co., VA.  He joined
Daniel Trigg's militia and swore an oath to the state in 1777.  He later moved
to Russell Co. and sold 345 acres of land on Sugar Run (now part of Pulaski
County) to Eliazer Cole for 300 pounds and settled on Moccasin Creek in
Russell Co. (later Scott) where he died in 1826. He is buried at Snowflake,
Va.   He had sons, William, Jr., and Travis, who can be found on the tax rolls
of those counties with their father, William.  The son, William Jr., also served
in the Revolutionary War, entering from Franklin Co., NC. as a sixteen-year-
old.  His pension record is often confused with that of his father, who did not
apply for a pension.

There is a great deal of confusion about this William of Montgomery Co. and
the William Lawson of Halifax Co. who married Jane Banks, according to Halifax
marriage bonds, on May 28, 1858.  The William of Halifax (also known as Dan
River Lawsons) and William the Scottish Rebel are often confused and there
are many erroneous postings showing Jane Banks as wife of the Scottish
William of Montgomery Co. when in fact she married William Lawson of Halifax
Co. and they later moved to Hancock County, Georgia, where both William and
Jane died.

There are several William Lawsons in Virginia at this time and I am currently
using available documentary evidence to sort them out.  They can get pretty
confusing.  When I finish this document, I will be happy to post the
information which will, I believe, clear up some of the confusion surrounding
the William Lawsons of the Revolutionary War period in Virginia.