VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 13:10:25 -0500
I think that the well written Stevenson material is not now considered timely; he then spoke of "preponderances" and many labels. The better authorities no longer subscribe to those methods, except now and then as illustrations in teaching.

The more appropriate weight of evidence required to establish "proof" is and has been for some years now, "clear and convincing", "preponderance" not any longer being acceptable to any patriotic organization of which I have knowledge, and surely not SAR or DAR.

You might want to look at my articles in NGS Newsletter and Heritage Quest magazine 6 or 8 years ago, wherein I explained at length the "clear and convincing" measure of proof and why it is eminently more understandable to new and old researchers alike.

Paul