VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2008

Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:58:10 EDT
To those of you interested in DNA testing, here's how our family have used
the tests to answer one of our questions.

The surname Prillaman is pretty rare in states other than Virginia
(http://www.hamrick.com/cgi-bin/names.cgi?surname=prillaman&year=1990&type=html). We
have two documents with the actual signature from the 1700s of the man we
consider to be the patriach of the Prillaman family, Jacob Prillaman Sr. (1721-1796).
  In those two documents, he signed his surname Brüllmann.   On public
documents, deeds, etc. from that time period the clerks of the court spelled his
name a variety of ways, most beginning with the letters Pr, so we are fortunate
to have two documents with his actual signature.   A couple of coincidences
happened to help connect the Prillaman name to the Brüllmann name which is also a
rare surname found most frequently in Switzerland.

I had been contacted by a Mr. Brüllmann (Bruellman) from Switzerland who is a
teacher/administrator.   He had googled the name of F. Douglas Prillaman, an
author of books on special education and professor at William & Mary for 23
years - he hoped to contact him regarding his research.   In his search he came
across the Prillaman family website and was astounded to see that Brüllmann
was listed on the site as a possible origin of the Prillaman name.   He wondered
if there might be a connection and emailed me as the administrator of the
site.   I unfortunately had to inform him that F. Douglas Prillaman had passed
away but asked him if he could help our family find a possible connection to the
Brüllmann families of Switzerland.   I told him some of the family history
and how there is a ships record showing Jacob Brüllmann from Lohn, Switzerland
to Philadelphia in 1747 on the ship Lydia. (this has been incorrectly
transcribed as Grüllmann   on the ships lists on the internet and in some books, but
upon looking at the actual signature, the signature matches Jacob's signature of
Brüllmann - the transcribers mistook his B for a G). He thought it would be
interesting to find out if he had cousins in America and agreed to do the YDNA
test.

Jacob Prillaman Sr. had three sons, Jacob Jr., John, and Daniel.   Using
familytreedna, we tested 37 markers from a male descendant from Daniel's line and
from John's line who both can trace their lines directly back to Jacob
Prillaman Sr. and whose families have lived within 30 miles of the ancestral lands of
Jacob for 7/8 generations in Franklin and Henry County, Virginia.   It was
interesting to find that Daniel's descendant was a closer match to the man from
Switzerland than John'sdescendant.   There were only three mismatches
(mutations) out of the 37 markers but four mismatches from John's.   (To help
understand mismatches, it is said by familytreedna that even sibling brothers can have
a mismatch.)   Between John and Daniel's there are also only three
mistmatches.   Out of all the test subjects on familytreedna, those three are the only
ones listed as matches for the 37 markers.   We hope to test another Brüllmann
 from Switzerland (or the USA) to compare with the present results and also
the surname Bruhlmann from Switzerland to see how closely matches the Prillaman
or Brullmann names.   (The Swiss phone directory has over 600 results for the
surname Bruehlmann but only a little over 100 for the surname Brullmann.)

Twyla Edwards
Prillaman Family Genealogy
315.336.1039