VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2000

From:
"Gayle M. Garrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:48:37 -0500
Greetings:

I still am no closer to locating where my great great grandfather Harvey

McCoy b: 12/23/1813 was born "exactly" & who his parents/ siblings were.

There are several working on this, but with no success as yet. He was
born Virginia, but it could very well West Virginia now days.

Harvey was in Perry County, Indiana by October 03, 1842, where he
married Louisa Crist on that date. They started a family here then
settled in  Monroe or  Appanoose County, Iowa.

Moravia, Iowa was laid out June 27, 1850 - Founded by Moravia Church.
Harvey McCoy taught the first school in Moravia in the winter of 1850 -
1851. Harvey also being the Justice of the Peace, married the first
couple in Moravia
on March 11, 1852. They were Maria Theresa & Epharim Cummins, both
nineteen years of age.
Harvey & his wife lived south of Moravia on a road to Centerville. This
big house is still standing & lived in today. A cousin of mine delivers
mail there every day on her route. She & her husband live with in 3
miles of the Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Monroe County, Iowa, where Harvey
& Louisa are buried.

Any & all information & or new suggestions would be very much
appreciated.

Thank You
Gayle M. Garrett