VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2005

From:
Westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 00:00:11 -0400
I received this via another list:

 W W I Draft Cards Online

Ancestry has opened up it's World War I Draft Registration records for
visitors of Access Genealogy for free. This will cover a 14 day period
between July 4 - July 17 2005. The only thing required to view the records
is an email address and your name. No credit card required!  This is not a
14 day trial of all of their material. It is strictly limited to their World
War I Draft Registration images.

Direct url:
 (http://www.accessgenealogy.com/military/ww1/draft.htm)

In 1917 and 1918, approximately 24 million men living in the United States
completed a World  War I draft registration card. These registration cards
represent  approximately 98% of the men under the age of 46. The total U.S.
population  in 1917-1918 was about 100 million individuals.  In other words,
close to 25% of the total population is represented in these records.

In general, the registration cards included most of the following
information:
Full name
Home address
Date and place of birth
Age,  race, and country of citizenship
Occupation and employer
Physical  description (hair and eye color, height, disabilities)
Additional information  such as address of nearest relative, dependent
relatives, marital status,  father's birthplace, or previous exemption from
service.
Signature.
 (http://www.accessgenealogy.com/)