VA-ROL Archives

June 2008

VA-ROL@LISTLVA.LIB.VA.US

From:
Sheri Heflin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia Records Officer's Listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:27:26 -0400
Thank you, Jerry.  We are not a state agency, though, so I can't use that schedule.

This is the information sent to me by Tom at the LVA:

"I am a Records Analyst at the LVA, and I can answer this: we generally do not view draft versions of documents as public records, so they can be destroyed (without reporting) when the final document is approved.  For these general documents there will not be a series on our schedule since they are considered non-records.

However, if the drafts are for meeting minutes or budget files, there are series since these are unique cases.  The appropriate schedule/series for these two types of series are below:

GS-04 County, City and Town Records
Electromagnetic Records, Stenographic Notes or Working Drafts of Meetings - Meetings (Nonelectronic)
010010
Recordings or transcripts of meetings used to prepare minutes for approval. May be in the form of audio or video recordings, stenographic tapes, notes or working drafts. Refer to §§ 2.1-343 and 15.2-1242 of Code of Virginia.
Retain until board/council approves and chairperson signs official copy of minutes, then re-use, erase or destroy. Disposal reporting on Certificate of Records Disposal (RM-3 form) not required.

GS-02 Fiscal Records
Budget Records: Budget Working Files
010151
This series documents the budgeting process of the locality. It consists of the working files used by the various departments to draw up/plan the budget for consideration by the governing body.
Retain 5 years after budget adoption, then destroy.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Tom"

Hopefully this information will be helpful to someone else, too.

Sheri L. Heflin
Administrative Secretary
Augusta County Service Authority
(540) 245-5683 Office
(540) 245-5684 Fax

To UNSUBSCRIBE, change options, or subscribe, please see the instructions
at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-rol.html
(If using Netscape, must have version 6.1 or higher to view the above page)