VA-ROL Archives

July 2009

VA-ROL@LISTLVA.LIB.VA.US

From:
"Conley, Brian" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia Records Officer's Listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:31:55 -0400
I have been planning on writing to LVA since GS17 was updated to ask that the Criminal Investigation retentions be revisited. I used 100771 in our records management classes as a prime example of a one size fits all retention period that failed to meet the needs of our locality. The previous 5 year period was too short to meet the needs of our Police Department in a number of areas so we had worked out the following retention periods:

Auto Theft   6 years
Child Abuse  30 years
Financial Crimes  7 years
Fugitives   6 years
Homicide  30 years
Runaways   6 years
Robbery    20 years
Sex Crimes  30 years

We were amazed when the new schedules changed the period to a uniform 75 years. I won't repeat what my contact in the PD said. Let's just say it wasn't too flattering. Some criminal investigation records clearly need to be kept long term, but we are now stuck keeping most records way beyond the point at which they have any valid use.

Todays change is a step in the right direction, but only barely. Most of us would probably agree that violent crimes should have a fairly long retention period and less severe crimes a shorter one. However using the IBR as a guide is a mistake. The IBR is a tool that was designed to standardize the way law enforcement agencies report data on crimes so that statistics could be compared across jurisdictions. It was never intended to define the comparative seriousness of crimes, and has absolutely no value to field investigators. IBR Group A lumps homicide, sex offenses, financial crimes, gambling, fraud, larceny, all stolen property crimes, and weapons offenses together. Honestly, does a misdemeanor concealed weapons charge really need to be retained for the same length of time as a murder or forcible rape case? One correction: Auto Theft is also a Group A offense according to the IBR, which means that we will still have the record about 70 years after the car in question has been crushed and melted and both owner and thief are dead.

Even some of the Group B offenses are pushing it at 10 years. What is the value of keeping a DUI investigation file after it has gone to court? Trespass?

Could LVA please reevaluate these two schedules with a view towards actually defining some meaningful catagories for criminal investigations?

Brian A. Conley
Assistant County Archivist
Fairfax County Archives & Records Management Branch
(703) 658-3780