VA-ROL Archives

March 2006

VA-ROL@LISTLVA.LIB.VA.US

From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia Records Officer's Listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:37:44 -0500
Conley:

I see that SB461 has passed and been enrolled as law, thus creating
multiple retention issues for localities.  I note that section "B" of
the law now states that we MUST destroy records within six months of the
expired retention period "in accordance with the provisions of this
chapter."  I also note that the provisions include the statement
"authorized to be destroyed or discarded in accordance with subsection
A." Like many others, we are in the process of updating our Department
retention schedule and have determined some records series require a
longer retention period than established by the general schedules due to
business need (Administrative Value).  What is the process for
"renegotiation of the relevant schedule" as stated in subsection "A" of
the enrolled bill?  Would we use this process to receive approval for
our longer retention periods based on Administrative Value?  If not,
what process shall we use?

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager