VA-ROL Archives

July 2001

VA-ROL@LISTLVA.LIB.VA.US

From:
Tina Long <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia Records Officer's Listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:16:07 -0400
I have a suggestion regarding the problem of past employment verification.
Richmond may not have such information but the Department of Social
Security in D.C. may.  It does take a while and there is a small fee.
Also, maybe the Department of Taxation.  It has been a while since I had to
do this and I think I started with the federal tax agency (figure They
would have the information) and though I can not remember too clearly, I
believe they directed me to the Social Security department (retirement
benefits).
Tina Long, Code Commission

                    Molly Brown
                    <[log in to unmask]        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    A.US>                   cc:
                    Sent by:                Subject:     Payroll records
                    Virginia Records
                    Officer's
                    Listserv
                    LIB.VA.US>

                    07/05/2001 10:41
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to Virginia
                    Records
                    Officer's
                    Listserv

My agency ,and many others we have spoken with, are having difficulty
determining how we are going to comply with legislation that went into
effect July 1 allowing state employees with prior part time service to
convert part time hours to service credits for retirement.  Our problem
stems from the fact that payroll records are only maintained for 5 years,
and most of the affected employees worked here as many as 30 years ago.
Can anyone tell me of records that may be archived in Richmond that might
have information on hours worked?  I have spoken with the APA about this,
and they tell me they are currently working with VRS and the AG to figure
out a solution.  We have already received requests from former employees
for certification of hours worked, and don't know what to tell them.
Thanks.

Molly G. Brown
Coordinator of Business and Facilities Services

at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-rol.html

at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-rol.html